For Spence vs Porter fight week, Bite Down Boxing will be bringing you recipe suggestions for a unified champion-caliber fight party spread
With three more days to go before the big fight we bring you this Spanish classic. Empanadas! This recipe was sent to us by one of our Twitter followers @81merc.
Her Spence v. Porter fight prediction: Porter will make it a tough and gritty fight, but my prediction is Spence by decision
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) GOYA Discos – Dough for Turnovers Pastries (Yellow or White), thawed ( there are many brands , this is my fav)
- ½ lb. ground beef ( optional- ground turkey/ ground chicken )
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup Tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. Sofrito seasoning
- 1 tsp. Minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. Dried oregano
- 1 packet sazon seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef ( or your preference of meat ) and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Add onions and stir in tomato sauce, Sofrito, Sazón, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Spoon about 1 -2 tbsp. meat mixture into middle, fold in half to form a half moon; moisten edges with water and seal with a fork. Fill a deep saucepan with oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook Empanadas in batches until crisp and golden brown, 4 – 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. You can add shredded cheese to the empanadas for the cheese lovers !